I have been a professional writer since 1979, a genealogist since 1999, a professional genealogist since 2009, and a Board-certified professional genealogist since 1 June 2012. Use the “Contact Harold” box to get in touch.
I hope this site will help your genealogy quest in at least one of the following ways:
(1) Use free resources here, including
- my guide to researching at the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center in Fort Wayne,
- a selection of free lookups,
- a list of Family History microfilms already in the Midwest,
- a list of state and regional genealogy periodicals nationwide,
- lists of the above-average holdings of Midwestern city directories in Valparaiso and Indiana newspapers in Mishawaka, and
- my finding aids for small-city city directory microfilm reels from Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.
(2) Hire research help. I can do lookups (flat fee) or research brick-wall problems (hourly rate). If you’re not sure whether this will help, check out my list of genealogy publications or use the form to ask for free advice. I am based in northwest Indiana, near Michigan and Illinois. I have researched in many areas but am most familiar with the Midwest and upstate New York.
(3) Hire writing or citation help. I can critique or edit your draft of an article or presentation. (If you’re not sure whether this will help, send me 5 pages and I’ll send you a free critique.) Or I can focus on bringing your source citations closer to Evidence Explained standards.
(4) Find a presentation that appeals to your society.
(5) Find a useful blog post at midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com.
Harold Henderson, Certified Genealogist (SM)
No. 1029, expires June 2017
Certified Genealogist and CG are proprietary service marks
of the Board for Certification of Genealogists® used by the
Board to identify its program of genealogical competency
evaluation and used under license by the Board’s associates.